4 thick salmon steaks
2.5cm/1in piece Galangal root grated (like ginger root but thai style
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut into small, very thin slices
3 tomatoes tomatoes, peeled and sliced
1 fresh red chilli, de-seeded and sliced as finely as possible, I used red chili sauce
2 small yellow peppers, de-seeded and thinly sliced
4-6 cardamom pods, roughly crushed
14fl oz tinned coconut milk
2 limes, juice only
handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
1. Put the fish steaks in a fairly shallow ovenproof dish with a lid, into which they fit quite closely.
2. Scatter the tomato, and yellow pepper over and around the fish and the cardamom pods in between.
3. Empty the coconut milk into a separate mixing bowl, add a good sprinkling of sea salt, ginger or Galangal root, garlic and gradually stir in the lime juice. Pour the mixture gently over and around the fish and cover the dish.
4. Preheat the oven to 300F. Put the dish on the center shelf and cook for 40-50 minutes, until the fish is lightly done. To discover this insert a small, sharp knife into the center of one of the steaks - if the flesh is slightly darker pink in the center it will be perfectly cooked. Remove from the oven.
5. Before serving scatter the mint leaves on top and serve over rice.